One of the best things about living and working in Hudson is our proximity to nature. Our community is not just home to 5,000+ people , but also countless songbirds, turtles, frogs, foxes, rabbits, deer — and occasionally we even see a moose pass through!
Our brewery’s name, Cardinal, is in part a tribute to the beauty and diversity of bird species in Hudson. It also speaks to our “cardinal” values, one of which is to do our part to respect and preserve our environment.
Caring for our world isn’t any one person’s responsibility: it’s the accumulation of many small choices that will save the world. Here are just a few of the decisions we’ve made to make our business a little greener:
Reducing fossil fuels and energy consumption
- We engaged an eco-energy consultant in the Fall of 2020 who helped us find ways to reduce our environmental footprint.
- We chose an electric boiler (over the usual gas) to benefit from Quebec’s hydroelectric network, allowing our brewing process to be fossil fuel free.
- We installed energy efficient LED lights in our brewhouse, replacing older inefficient halogen lights.
- We plan transport very carefully to save resources and reduce our consumption of fossil fuels.
Reusing / repurposing materials
- We are proudly giving new life to a historic garage, last occupied by Pierre Auto Body.
- Other than our brand-new custom brewhouse, a lot of our equipment was purchased second-hand, saving it from the landfill.
- Most of our chairs and tables, and other items, were purchased from the old Black Lion pub.
- Our benches are salvaged church pews, sourced from the Eastern Townships.
Reducing waste and choosing recyclable materials
- We participated in a circular economy training in the summer of 2020 and learned how to reduce and reuse waste.
- We have made a point of eliminating single-use plastic whenever possible.
- We have decided not to use plastic can rings and are seeking environmentally-responsible alternatives.
- We have chosen paper labels instead of plastic for our cans.
- Our aluminum cans are 100% recyclable and widely recuperated by Recyc-Quebec. Aluminum is endlessly recyclable and takes just 5% of the energy used to make the original metal.
- We have encouraged reusable bags since our opening.
- If you forget your bags, we use biodegradable paper bags in our boutique.
Supporting our local economy
- We are a strong supporter of the local economy and value our neighbours. We’re always looking for new ways to collaborate with and cheer on our local businesses! One example is Hudson à Table, spotlighting Hudson’s restaurants and food and beverage producers. You can also find us at the Marché Écolocal, a cooperative grocery store that stocks exclusively products made in Vaudreuil-Soulanges.
- Breweries use a lot of grain to make beer. Instead of sending the spent grains to the landfill afterwards, we offer it to local farmers to use for a nutritious animal feed or compost. It’s a win-win!
- We are hoping to work with a local farmer to produce a fruit beer… stay tuned!
- Our gorgeous wood countertop was commissioned by a local artisan, Hodgson Custom Woodwork.
- When renovating the brewery, we turned to local suppliers such as Centre Décor Hudson and Hudson Hardware.
- Most of the merchandise in our boutique is sourced locally.
- We chose to establish Cardinal Brewing in Hudson so that we could work close to home.
Spending more time at home and in Hudson’s beautiful parks and nature trails over this past year has made us value our environment even more. On this Earth Day we pledge to continue to do our part to keep Hudson green. We hope you will too!
If you haven’t already signed up, please take a moment to pledge one hour of your time to clean up Hudson this Earth Week. More than 200 people have already volunteered to do this, and it’s making a huge difference to keep our town beautiful. Plus, many of our local businesses (including us!) have offered prizes for the organizers of this event to offer to volunteers.